How best to help myself and my son, this is how I got in this problem.
I am disabled and on a fixed income and am trying to help my son get thru college as much as I can. He gets student loans but they don't everything.

He can do as I did--work-study.

Anyone who REALLY wants a college education will do something to make it happen.  While I had help from the Veterans Administration, I also had two teens at home so I did some work-study to help pay part of the tuition and fees so I could help keep a house over our heads and food in our bellies.  I know someone who has a couple of degrees and he took the time to work and study, so it took 7 years for him to get a Bachelor's.  No student loans back in the '60s.  Your son is an adult now and it is time for him to take on adult responsibilities and think of ways to make college happen if he really wants it.  He's going to have to pay back those student loans six months after college ends so he might as well start thinking how to make it all work now.

I have been on VA disability for years and it was a much lower rating when the kids were still home than it is now, but it is still a fixed income.  But it is MY disability compensation and there is no provision for supporting another person.  Unless you are getting additional funds (son provides aid and attendance for you?) then there is no provision for you to be supporting him.  Those are the hard facts of life, I'm sorry to say.

The fact that you want to help your son with the cost of college is commendable. However, you say you have limited means to do this. As the other poster said, your son is an adult and this is an adult responsibility. If he really wants to go to school then he will find a way. I personally worked full time through the last 2.5 years of college and worked full time while in gradschool at Harvard. It can be done and he will appreciate his education all the more.

Encourage him to pick up a job to supplement the student loans and help him out by doing his laundry or sending him back to school with a lasagna when he comes home to visit. You have too many health and financial issues of your own to add paying for college.