Question

Lighthouse72

How badly does paying less than the minimum due damage one's credit score?
I didn't know that my Amex Gold card wasn't "pay over time" and my balance is substantial. I know that making partial payments will result in penalties and fees with Amex, but how much damage will it cause my credit report?

Contact Amex

You should call Amex. Technically the gold card is a charge card (pay in full monthly) but I read in their terms and conditions that they sometimes offer a pay over time feature. 

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress.com/Internet/UDAP/CardMemberAgreementsOnline/US_en/CMADetailsPage/PersonalCards/PremierRewardsGoldCard/PremRwrdGold.pdf

It would cause a lot of damage. If you don't pay the minimum amount due that is considered a "missed payment". You should do some reading on how missed and late payments damage credit.