Question

Phhollis12

how and to whom do I pay if I pay off some of the accounts on my credit report?

I will presume that you are referring to collections when you ask who to pay off.   First, if you have firms contacting you now, they are the most important.  You want to stop the action where you can.  If they are unable to collect from you, they may sell your account to another collection firm and that would increase the number of negative reports.  In your listing of accounts, you should be able to click their name and find some contact information, either an address or a phone number.   If you see multiple collections for the same account, you would opt for the most recent reported item as they are probably the most current owner of your debt.   Also be aware of the statute of limitations in your state as you may have no legal obligation to make the payment.  Although, I encourage all debts to be paid.   If you are in a position for a lump sum payment, contact them and negotiate a payment amount.   Also ask how much you would need to pay in order for the entire account to be deleted form your credit report.  Some will delete during negotiations, others may not.