Question

raerae31

How am I supposed to work on my credit if I can't get a loan or a credit card?
I understand I have been late a little and behind but why can't I catch a break?

Being behind and being late are the things holding you back.  Each credit account is basically a loan which you agreed to repay on time and that is what is expected.  To not keep your word is basically the same as breaking a promise and that makes others not trust you.  What will help is building a history of on-time payments from now on.  You may be able to get a secured credit card after a while.  The "breaks" come to those who have proven to be trustworthy.  Do a search for Dave Ramsey and find advice on how to get debts paid off in a manner that will help build your credit and creditor trust.    

Agreed. If you cant demonstrate reliable on time responsible credit handling with what you already have, and being a lil late....any potential credit grantors will not be so inclined to take a chance on you....since you are already a lil late. Focus on what you have and build credit from what you already have been granted credit for.