How a paid civil judgement will effect credit score
I am young (20) and have been using Credit Karma for some time. I have watched my credit score go up from as low as a 650 to now around a 735 (according to Credit Karma).

I am being sued by a private party for around $500 dollars. I don't know whether i'll win or loose and i'm not really worried about the money. I AM worried about how it will effect my credit score. If i do loose I have no problem paying it off immediately. I just don't want it to effect me credit score and everything I have read online says it will.

Is this true? Will it go on my credit report? Will it effect my credit report? How bad?

kralco626

A similar judgement just dropped my score 75 points. My insurance company paid it but it takes a while to show "paid". I don't know how much my score will be still hurt after it shows paid. 

By all means settle before judgement. Insurance companies should be required to tell a policy holder this. 

Response by
tomdc

it wont be a judgment if you pay it off before that point. I mean agree to pay and drop the suite in writing. especially if you think your guilty. I know a collection account will drop you like 50 plus points. however what i do not know is how a judgement affects your score. This is gonna be your call.

Response by
toledobill

After you pay the judgement. Be sure to get documentation from the court showing that your judgement was satisfied. When the judgement shows on your credit report, file disputes with the major credit bureaus, showing that your judgement has been paid. It will probably take them a few months to reflect this information, but it's much better than having something like that drag your score down for years.

Response by
zero619

Right. I'm not really worried about the short term credit score because after the judgement gets off it will go back up. It will be unlikely for me to apply for credit in the next 6-10 months anyways. i just graduate from college in the spring and I don't want that on my credit if I try to buy a car or something like that.

Do you know what I have to do to get that documentation from the court that I paid the judgement?

Thanks so much for your reply!

kralco626

It will fgo on ur report and **** u I recommend paying it I just paid mine and it took my score down nd now waiting on it to go back up make sure u pay it

Response by
alexyasin85

Submit to the Community