Question

cbk41

Hospital Debt To Collections That Was Being Paid By Another Party
Hello Everyone,

Back in 2011 I was hospitalized. Being a college student without a job, I was unable to pay anything. My family has been paying off the debt slowly since then. I haven't been mailed a bill or touched a bill for these services. Forward to now I am in the US Navy stationed in Japan. I have been working hard to get my credit up and be a reputable borrower. Checking my report every week. But this evening I found the bill has gone to collections and is being reported on my own Equifax. It took a 45 point hit.

I have e-mailed my Father about it. I tried contacting the hospital business office but they are out for the weekend. Being in Japan can make direct calling expensive, and I am not sure how to proceed next. I am very worried that my work on my credit is going to be ruined.

In this case, contact your Commanding Officer to see about getting legal assistance.  Something is not quite right about this showing up so suddenly on your credit report, and he can get the right legal assistance started for you. 

Whoa, whoa. Wait... contacting his CO may get him in trouble (the UCMJ has a prohibition against "financial irresponsibility", and his inadvertent self-reporting could get him an Article 15 or worse, even if he has a perfectly good explanation! ) Now... to fix the problem. cbk41, your unit has (or should have) a financial affairs officer lurking in it somewhere that can help. Failing that, make an appointment with the JAG office on base and ask for their advice. The Navy pays them lawyers even when they're not doing courtroom stuff, so if they can't help directly, they will definitely know who can.