Question

inmana3149

Hopeless Feeling
I'm 26 and unsurprisingly have poor credit. My first credit card I only got a little over a year ago and it was recommended by my bank because I hadn't had any established credit. Through this website I watched my credit score drop tremendously. I went from a the upper 600's to the 550's. I have opened cards and each have money due on them (partly because I shortly after getting my first card I actually needed to use it for something I wouldn't have had the money to pay for without it), so I understand why the score has dropped; debt, hard inquiries from me getting cards, and the length of me having them only being around the year mark.

Basically, does this get any better? Are there any people out there who now have good credit scores? I'm in college part-time, I work full-time, and am also a single-parent. I've never missed a single payment on my cards, and always pay at least the minimum, but certainly always try to pay more. Is there more debt on my cards than I'd like? Absolutely, but I'm working towards a better paying job so I will have more money one day.

CreditKarma is great for keeping me aware of my financial situation, but as of right now, it mostly just makes me depressed, like it's never going to get any better. Like I'll never have a high enough credit score to do things like buy a house.

It does get better.

Building a good credit score does take time and patience.  One thing to do is to learn how credit works so you can build your score.  Read the articles here and practice with the financial tools.  I was trained in accounting and learned a lot through this site, so now have a good credit score.  I'm retired on disability, with a fixed income.  It's not HOW much you have, it's how well you use it.  Learning that and putting the skills into action is a wonderful feeling. Eventually you may qualify for a house at a decent interest rate but, for now, work on building your credit, getting the bills paid down and creating an "emergency fund." You CAN do it!!!