Question

MFDoom29

Hopeful Renter/NEED HELP ASAP
So I checked my credit karma scores and it generated two different scores from TransUnion and Equifax. I don't have a lot of credit history, but my TransUnion score is a 587 (Poor) while my Equifax score is a 654 (fair). I only have one payment in collections that is showing up in TransUnion. I just had a child and am looking to rent a townhouse/house with my gf. I make a pretty decent salary, close to 70k a year and the missed payment I had was when I had just graduated from college and was overloaded with loan debt. My question(s) would be which score would a tenet look at? The higher or lower. I've read that most look for a score of 620+ which I have according to Equifax. Also, if they look at TransUnion what's my chances of actually getting accepted into a decent apartment? Would one missed medical payment really destroy my chances of landing an apartment? Seems unfair.. Anyway any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

It’s not uncommon for a prospective tenant to have a thin credit file or a low score. If I were considering renting to you I would be much more concerned with your debt to income ratio, your salary and your length of time with your employer. If you have these factors going for you and so long as the rent on the place you are going for is within your means, I would say you have a pretty good shot.

Good luck and let us know how you do.