Question

SCapps06

Home Loan and Student Loans
I am wanting to buy a home in the summer and watching my credit score. Would it be better pay a lump sum toward my private student loan debt now or wait? I can't pay off that private loan, but I can throw about $1500 at it. But I'm not sure how that would effect credit, or if I should simply save the $1500 and use it as part of a down payment.

Most Helpful Response

More than likely it won't help a ton. In my experience as a loan officer (looking at credit reports for 10+ years) paying down a student loan (installment loan) does not help as much (not even close) as paying down/off credit cards.  

SCapps06

Thanks.  I keep the credit card paid off completely most of the time, so I guess I'm okay.

Loan modification

Filed bank #7 in 2009, chase bank did a loan modification in 2011 , loan was reaffirmed and they are not reporting payments why? I have made copys of all payments made from 2009-2011 and copys of the reafirmation of the 1st mortg sent it to all three credit reports and Chase  bank they still are not reporting it. HELP