Question

Uplinksc

High utilization on one card vs medium utilization on all. Is utilization exponential?
I have been searching and see that higher utilization is worse, but how is it to have 30% utilization on all other cards and 90% on just one compared to staying around 50% on all cards? The total utilization will remain the same either way, but does having all at 50% help my score compared having that one at 90%? Does the higher it gets impact my score exponentially? But would that be made up by the 30% accounts combating and increasing my score what the 90% is dropping it, or would those not make a big enough difference compared to the 90%.

For a while I got my FICO score from 609 to 680 in 3 months just by paying off balances that I could at the time. Since, it has been dropping and is back around low 600, high 500 range with 75% total utilization. I am trying to raise my credit score up as quickly as I can, but I don't know which cards to start with first to pay off. and which is more beneficial to my score. I don't care about interest rates, they are all about the same on all my accounts at 22-26% and would rather increase my credit score than worry about the interest at the moment.

I cannot say for sure, but I am pretty sure that the utilization rate is figured per card by the bureaus. I don't think things are going to cancel each other out, I could be wrong though. I would work at getting the 90% down to 60 or 70, then attack the 50% ones and get them down to 30% then jump back and get the 60 or 70 down to 30. Honestly I really have no idea if this is a good plan, but it sounds right in my head.

The more I thought about this, maybe I was incorrect on what I said, so I will hope someone else that knows for sure will come along to help you. I was thinking that each account you have was graded individually, but now I am thinking maybe your utilization rate is scored as a whole, maybe it is scored both ways. I still think in either case my plan earlier doesn't sound bad.

Utilization

For some reason CK says pay on higher utilized card, to me that makes no sense when they show it's debt ÷ total credit therefore it is a total not a specific card.