Question

FlamingDhan

Hi do I still need to apply for credit repair after bankcruptcy chapter 7 discharge?
Because I'm still thinking is it worth it to sign up for a credit repair and pay monthly to help me build my score up?. Or just do nothing try to apply for a secured credit card and pay it off every month. Please your opinions are very much welcome.

Most Helpful Response

First, you need to understand that a Chapter 7 bankruptcy seriously hurts your credit for ten years and there are just some things that cannot be changed since that comes under federal law.  If you take advantage of the education provided by this site and read the articles here, you can learn how to build your score which is information you will use for the rest of your life. Personally I do[n't trust these credit repair companies since too many have less than stellar reputations and cause more harm than good.

Personally, I do not believe anyone needs to sign up for credit repair as that firm can do nothing more than you can on your own.    Start with the Secured Credit Card, preferably one with NO monthly fees (annual is ok); one which will convert to unsecure over time and one that will allow you to increase it by adding additional deposits.  Then manage the card wisely.   The credit repair firm would write to the bureaus to dispute items.  You can do the disputes yourself.  There are many form letters online, however, you merely need a letter with clear request of what you seek without the fluff.

After Bankruptcy

After chap. 7 I'm keeping Home & car, is this Smart?