Question

aprilxbegins

Hey guys, I recently lost my job. Any advice?
For the past 8 years, I have been trying really hard to build my credit up. I have a charge off from a mistake I made when I first got a credit card 10 years ago. With that, my Transunion score is still almost 700. My question is, I just recently lost my job. I had a decent amount of income and it was easier to manage my debt with it. I am actively seeking full time employment, but as you know, bills creep up super fast. How can I keep everything in good standing if I do not really have any income coming in? Is there anything specific I could ask creditors?

Most Helpful Response

Communication works!!

Sorry about the job loss.  Hope you'll be able to get unemployment while seeking a new job.  Now it's time to figure out financial strategy.

First, find out how much money you're going to have.  Now, figure out the bills, with priority going to covering housing and utilities. Basic survival needs must be covered first, then you can decide how much you might be able to pay to any credit accounts you have.  Once you know how much you might be able to pay them (even if it's only $5) send your creditors a letter telling them what happened, that you are actively seeking new employment, that you have $XX coming in for unemployment and, after all necessary survival expenses are taken care of you have $xx you can send them.  If you don't have any money to send them, let them know the situation and ask for their help.  Some might just freeze the account, some might make suggestions that can help and some might just be jerks.  But, keeping them informed will work out best so they won't think you a deadbeat.

Hope this is a shosrt unemployment.

aprilxbegins

Thank you jwsister. :) You gave really great advice.