Question

Qesteban

Herr's my situation, my credit score is 601, my goal is to get it to 760.
I have 2 negatives on my report that are more than 2 years old, I have sent letters to the office asking them to validate the debt, if that doesn't work I will pay them off, they total 1400. I have a tax bill of 1500 that I just received. My next step is to get a secured credit card of $500 and use the credit and pay the balance off completely each month. Is this the correct course of action, to get me on my way?

Your headed in the right direction

You stated that your sent letters to the "office",  I hope that you mean that you sent them to the Credit Bureau.  If you mailed them to the collection agancy, don't expect any results.   Before you just pay them off, Try an "offer and compromise" Google it to find out how to do them.  Basicly you offer to pay the account, usually for less than the original debt and at the same time the will remove the negitive remarks from your report.  The tax bill should be resolved ASAP.  That alone will keep you from advancing in your credit repair.

Once you get that secured credit card, I would suggest that you use it sparingly and not charge and pay off each month, but let it report a 0 balance at least 3 or 4 times a year.  That will help raise your score faster.

Good luck,