Question

Caregiver66

Help with my poor credit
I'm trying to improve my credit and apply for a card at the same time is that good ?

First, remember that applying for a credit card will cause a hard inquiry. You don't mention if you have a card already but here's a few ways to start improving.

1. Use the pre-qualify option on credit card issuer websites. If it says you're pre approved it's more likely that you'll get the card. If not, don't apply as it will incurr a hard inquiry.

2. Some store cards are easier to get. Depending on your income you may qualify for a Kohls card. This is how I got started. I got a card at Kohls and made all my payments on time, paying in full as soon as it showed up on my card. After a few months I checked out Cap1's pre approval link and I was pre-qualified to get a QuicksilverOne card. I was put in the steps program starting with an credit line of 300. After 5 months with all payments on time they will raise your credit limit. I showed good use (low utilization, always paid in full) and they upped my credit line to 2300 instead of the planned 750. I continued paying in full for about 6 more months and applied for a Discover IT, and was approved.

To give you an example, my credit went from high 500s to mid 700's in about a year. Always pay in full each month, keep your utilization low (less than 10% for me) don't go crazy with hard inquiries and don't request credit line increases for at least 6 months. As long as you're responsible with a card your score will rise in the long term. Good luck!