Question

eclipsex

Help with deceitful apartment charges in collections
Going to try to make this quick and easy.
I got a new promotion in another state, 4 hours away. Wife wanted to stay in current apartment to finish up internship. Went to apartment office, and asked for rental history for new apartment in other state. employee states it is illegal for someone to have their name on two leases, and says i have to be removed from lease. When asked to, he knew she was in school full time (we told him the story), and he asked if she made 3x the rent. At the time, I was the main source of income.
After the employee kicking and screaming, the apartment in the other state told me he was "playing dirty" and ask for ledger (by law has to give that to me, suffices as rental history)

Fast forward a year after. Wife goes down to office to give notice of move out. The same employee immediately asks if i am in town. She states no, and he refuses to accept her notice to move out because I am not in town. Tells her it is law that both tenants present at the same time to give notice to move out in 60 days.
I was unable to come back in state for two weeks, and signed paper.

Upon move out, we have $200+ dollars tacked on rent. Upon asking, he refused to remove charge and stated it was due to prorated rent charge. I was upset, but he would not budge.

Upon move out, sends another 250 dollar bill on top of that, for cleaning charges. Some charges can be justified. I refuse to pay, due to finding out the law and deceitful practice of not accepting notice to vacate, which cost us to pay the same amount that this bill is. Upon disputing some of the charges, he gets upset and immediately sends it to collections. skims through intentionally hard, finds one more charge, THEN makes sure we know he found it and sends it to collections.

Collections contacts us. I tell them that they have their money and the worker is being deceitful within business practices. They go back to apartment. same employee states they will not accept settlements, not to contact them until money is delivered to the agency.

Agency does not own debt. They're simply hired to attempt to collect debt. I have contacted property management company manager, which continues to say she will get back to me by x, does get back to me by then. when i reach out, she says she will get back to me by Y. I am still waiting for proper response in regards to deceitful and wrongful business practices by employee.

I sent validation letter to CA. they send me the lease and pictures that don't show me anything but black and white. CA cannot verify nor disprove collection, simply following orders from apartment.

What would you do? I am still waiting for manager to get back to me.

Most Helpful Response

I would be checking the laws in the state that this happened. Find out if they did violate the laws and find out how long you have to file complaints and/or lawsuits. It may be easiest to consult with an attorney.