Question

Posted in Taxes

Chichitara

Help pass a bill in the NY state senate to have satisfied tax liens removed from credit report
There is currently no way to remove a satisfied state tax lien from a credit report in new York before 7 years have passed. (I'm not saying its impossible, but unless there was an error I haven't found a way) The federal government enacted the "lien on me" program giving individuals the ability to remove satisfied federal tax liens and NY senator Eric Adams has introduced bill S7134-2011 which would do the same for satisfied NYS tax liens. That bill was passed to the investigative and government operations committee where it sat until it was too old. It has been given a new number S2409-2013. Unless someone on that committee brings it forward it will NOT be addressed. Senator Adams will be leaving the senate in January and at that point there may be NO ONE to back this bill again!!! It is up to us to bring it to the attention of our own representatives and especially members of the investigative committee. If we don't do anything those tax liens will have a negative impact on our credit reports for 7 full years!!

contact your own state senator as well as the investigative and government operations committee chairmen
Senator Carl Marcelliino
marcelli@senate.state.ny.us
District Office
250 Townsend Square
Oyster Bay, NY 11771
United States
Phone: (516) 922-1811

Most Helpful Response

I Notified My Senator & Committee Chair

Thanks for the info Chichitara! I wrote my senator and have emailed and called the committe chairman. 

I should note that I have read about people have some success sending their letters of satisfaction from the NYS dept of taxation to the 3 credit agencies. Some have had partial success in removing the liens (maybe 1 or 2 removed but not all 3), and I read in one or two cases where people were able to have them removed by all 3 credit agencies. Some of these people noted the lien was within 5 or 7 years, but others did not note when the lien was paid. 

I think it doesn't hurt to try this solution (mailing copies of the satisfaction letters to CRAs). I think the Fed's stance is enough to allow these agencies some comfort in making their own interpretation and determination with regards to paid state liens. 

By the way, Reguy411's comment did not deserve a response.

Any news or movement on this bill ? I mean I have only 2 years to go on my Lean but I'd love to have it removed once and for all.

This is exactly what I need. I have my TAX LIEN paid in full yet it still there under public record on my credit report. I think everyone who had his or her TAX LIEN paid should have a chance for a clean record.

Well, just pay your taxes and file the right exemptions to advoid such foolishness.

Chichitara

I did pay my taxes. I don't know what exemptions would "avoid such foolishness". I also think its pretty rude to call someone foolish when you have no idea why I paid late, especially on this site where people are trying to improve their Cedit. Id love to have perfect score like you do & It would be great if I was able to pay everything on time. Do you think I didn't pay them on time on purpose? My tax lien was satisfied within one month, but it will still show on my report negatively for 7 years.   With federal taxes there is a way to remove it from your credit report. A bill was passed to make this possible, so obviously I'm not the only person who thinks that after you pay your debts you should no longer be punished for them. The majority of politicians in Washington agreed on that. I think the majority of politicians in new York would too if the bill was brought to their attention.  What about any of this is foolish to you?

Chichitara

I would think this is something your employer at Credit Pro would want to support. It would give them another way to improve someone's credit report.