Question

hannac89

Help!!! My Experian score is showing a drop by 82 points?!
I checked my scores today.. Transunion went up +8 points... Experian -82 points?!?! The only changes I see on that report are that my student loan(s) balances due have gotten smaller. Please tell me -82 points is an error?! I have been actively paying down my debts over the last few months, and my scores have been increasing steadily till now.

Most Helpful Response

Same thing

I've been using Credit Karma for around 2 years now. Their scores have always been lower than my official FICO score I see through my Discover Card, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I login today, AND I DROPPED NEARLY 70 POINTS!!! I was a around 720-740, and now my scores are showing mid-600s. I was freaking out, I figured someone stole my identity or something. But no, Credit Karma shows no changes to any of my accounts, no new ones, no late payments, the only thing that changed was that one of my credit inquires went AWAY-- which only helps your score. I went ahead and got my free annual credit report, nothing suspicious there. I signed up for another free credit reporting service and it's showing my score around 720 (which is still lower than my official FICO, but not a drastic change).

I have found no explanation for this drastic change and I suspect my time using Credit Karma is coming to an end. Unfortunately, despite it looking like it was completely their fault, I am now extremely paranoid for requesting new lines of credit.

dropped 79 points

Same here, I have been paying things off and nothing new added, no changes except removals and dropped 79 with experian...How is that possible and how do I find out at least what happened?

armasper

I got the same. Nothing changed but yet my score dropped 6 points at Transunion.

If you mean Equifax, same here.

My Credit Karma reports Transunion and Equifax.  I don't know if in some places they report Experian, or if you meant Equifax.  If so, I have had the same problem this month.  Suddenly Credit Karma started reporting a 100 point drop on my Equifax score, when nothing changed since the week before other than my utilization going down (a good thing).  I freaked out and paid for a report and score directly from Equifax and it was fine.  The score difference was an even 100 points between that reported by Equifax and that reported by Credit Karma for Equifax on the same day.  I contacted Credit Karma to let them know that I think they may have made a change causing an error in their formula, and they didn't even read my message, just kept sending me emails telling me that they don't know why my score dropped and I shouldn't ask them, when I didn't ask them.  I told them they have an issue that they should look into.

I might suggest....

I might suggest you check directly with Experian. They do things differently and I too have had differences between other scores and them. Not that much so you may check with them before something incorrect starts damaging other scores.

-52 Drop Here Too

Did you ever figure out what happened? Did they do a mass correction/update/formulat change? - Though I DO have a few new Inquries - and a few new accounts - The sudden HUGE drop supprised. New approvals always boosted my score in the the past. 

Student Loan

I do not have a student loan

drop

like everyone esle...ive paid down my debits or pay them off.....im down to just my credit card and my car payment.

Just 2wks ago i finally paid off my personal loan   and now my score has went from being GOOD TO FAIR....IM ****ED.....I DIDNT CHOOSE TO CLOSE THIS ACCOUNT IT WAS PAID IN FULL THEREFORE IT WAS NO NEEDED ......

WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS.....GETTING ADDICTIONAL CREDI CARDS OR LOANS U DONT NEED IS NOT THE ANWERS