Question

shaun196t4

Help me understand....
Why is it that when I did the sample test to see if I requested a new card that it would not lower my score, then I applied for a new card and my "Credit Karma" score dropped 5 points?

score drop?

This sounds to me like the initial check to see if you would be approved was a soft inquiry, which isnt reported, so there is no affects.  Then you actually applied and that is a hard inquiry and it gave you a couple point hit.

What would have me steamed from your story is that it said you were basically pre-approved if I understand your story. Then when you hit the button and said " OK, do it".  They turned around and said "No".  That sucks

Have to guess that it is one of two things, either the hard inquiry showed something they didnt like, that the soft inquiry didnt, or it is just a low class outfit.  You know your situation. 

What I find important here is that the pre-screen isnt accurate, and people should know that.  Let us know what company did that?

score drop

Another question:

Was what you are referring to as a pre-screen test something you just answered the questions to yourself, or was it something interactive that submitted and verified against your record?

score drop

Another question

Who told you that applying for the card would not drop your score even if you were denied?

Was it Credit Karma, or was it the Credit Card Company you were applying to?

Please let us know.

Thanks