Question

Ellepepper

Help, long term account affecting my rate
I have an account from victoria secret, opened in 04, but Victoria secret no longer has record of me as a customer, but the account still shows as open and is giving me a lower credit rate because I'm not using it. What do I do? I don't want to close it because it is the longest (And only) open account I have, but I am afraid it is one of the reasons I'm not getting credit (I did a chapter seven in 06, and have gotten back to poor credit) but it still shows as having a 500 dollar limit for a card I can't access. What do I do?

An account without a balance should not be affecting your score negatively. Because of it's age, it should be beneficial, so please verify this before removing it from your credit report.

If it is actually hurting your score, you only need to contact the credit bureau to have it removed. Report to them that the account is not valid, they will reach out to the creditor to verify and remove it from your report when the creditor is unable to verify the account.

You can contact the credit bureaus to have any erroneous information removed from your record. I have personally done this many times as my home address often gets reported incorrectly.