Help - 546 score
Ok. So here's the long story.
I'm 23 years old with a 546 credit score according to credit karma. Unlike a lot of people I did not ruin my credit by myself.

When I turned 18, like a lot of my friends I tried to get approved for student credit cards but was denied for everything. That same year, I was contacted by both AT&T and Time Warner Cable stating it was "an attempt to collect a debt". I've opened any accounts and had no clue what debt either company was talking about. They both claimed that each account was opened before 1995.. Which would have made me 5 years old at the time. I was living on campus (freshman year ) so I immediately contacted my mom to look into it...turned out, my mom opened these accounts in my name and "forgot about them". Together they totaled over $1500 in debt.

Each company is refusing to acknowledge that I did not authorize either account and my mom is unable to pay for them. They have since fallen off my credit report but I've no clue how to go about disputing these accounts because they are still contacting me.

So because of my originally bad score, I was unable to get any credit and needed a cosigner for a car loan. BUT neither of my parents had good credit and as I'm the oldest, my siblings were to young to help me. When I turned 21, I went to 2 different car dealerships in Hope of someone being able to help me without a cosigner and a $3500 down payment... In the end neither one was able to help and I had to go to a BuyHerePayHere Dealership. Because of those 2 dealerships, I had a combined 24 hard inquiries added onto my scores.

2 years later. And those 24 inquiries just fell off last month! My score was raised to 546 from 538... I now have no accounts in collections, no credit cards and no hard inquiries on my score.. I've been doing research and I know the first step towards getting credit is Credit cards...but I'm so scared of applying and then being denied. I've already applied for the first premier bank card but even I know it's crap. Are there any tips/cards you'd recommend in my situation... This completely sucks, I see so many of my friends buying their first home while I can't even get approved for a checking account.

capital one helped me out. it is a subprime card also. But alot better than first preimer. Click on its okay to peek when you see the advertisement next time on credit karma and see if you can prequalify for a card they have.