Question

JLULIP

HELOC FROM OCWEN LISTED AS "CLOSED", ALTHOUGH I DID NOT PAY OFF.
I had a 2nd mortgage with GMAC, which was then transferred to OCWEN. I stopped making payments since I was severely underwater. OCWEN no longer lists this loan on their site and my credit report lists it as closed. However, this outstanding debt is not listed anywhere else. I assume if they wrote it off, that I would have received some 1099 tax form, which I never did. If they sold it, wouldn't it be listed somewhere? Also, if they sold it, am I entitled to know whom the loan was sold too?

Most Helpful Response

Sheesh, count your blessings and leave it alone.  If they sold the note they are, by law, required to notify you 21 days prior to the transfer.  Do they have your current mailing address?  You can call OCWEN and they can tell you who they sold it to and their contact information.  But really, if I were you, I'd not touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Thank you Addison170 for taking the time to answer my question. 

Yes, they do have my current address but I never received anything from OCWEN.  Although, I am sure that OCWEN would claim that they notified me by mail and I can't proove that I didn't receive any correspondance.  I suspect that the company that purchased it from OCWEN (or OCWEN itself), is going to pop up at some point when\if any value comes back on the property.  My assumption is that there is no statue of limitations on how long someone can lay claim to an outstanding debt after non-payment.