Question

kimberlyhogg

hello - new credit card
hi, i would like to get a delta AMEX card as I travel a lot and mostly travel delta. i have a credit score of 710 now and two credit cards totaling 8000 in credit and are about 25% utilized. how will getting another credit card affect me? i could also just increase my visa credit card limit to 10,0000 from 6000 giving me a credit card limit of 12000. I was approved at that much but said i only wanted a 6k limit at the time not realizing i should have just taken the full amount. thanks!

Most Helpful Response

Nobody can say precisely how getting a new Amex card would affect your score because the details of everyone's credit picture are too different. In the long run, of course, having an Amex card would be good as long as you manage it well. But if you applied for the Amex and got denied (which you could based on income, recent inquiries, or who knows what), that would be a negative. And of course you're right; you should have accepted that larger CL when the vendor offered it. You might ask if they'll now increase your CL without doing a hard inquiry. Some will, some won't. Never hurts to ask.

kimberlyhogg

Clairissa - thank you SO much for the detailed response. I appreciate you taking the time out to do so!