Question

Redolque

Hello, I have received a notice letter in my mail, it is from a collection agency
This collection agency is trying to collect money from me for something I supposed to due since 90´s, How do I know they are real, legal, and if they can affect my credit score? Need to know before they ruin my credit.

It would be remarkable for something from the 1990's to still be on your credit report. I would get copies of your report from all three major bureaus. See if this account matches anything on your reports. This is probably someone who bought an old debt for pennies on the dollar in the hopes that threatening you or scaring you would cause you to pay them something. There are many companies out there that will by old paper for debts. The original lendors sell them because there is so little chance of anyone paying that they would rather get something out of it and the companies buying them know about what percent of people will get scared and pay at least something when they start calling.

Saying the wrong thing could have very severe consequences for you with these "zombie" debts. Here are a few good rules of thumb:

1) DON'T TALK. Engaging with the debt collector, especially anything that could be construed as a promise to pay could reset the clock on the statute of limitations and take you back to square 1.

2) STAY ORGANIZED. Make sure you dispute anything on your credit reports older than 7 years. Getting proof of age of this account will be critical if (and that is a small likelihood) you actually get taken to court over this debt.

3) If they do sue, show up in court. Failure to do so could make you end up being liable for the debt.

In the meantime, I would look onlinen for a cease and desist letter via certified mail. The creditor would then only have one more opprotunity to contact you via phone. 

Good luck!