Question

BardicChick

Have to have credit to build credit but all I have is debt...
I had a large amount of medical bills around the time I was 17-20. My bills were supposed to be paid through a medical fund my parents had set up. The person who was in charge of writing those checks said that they were doing so, and instead took the money. Which of course tanked my credit. Add in poor decisions with a live in relationship and the full belief at 20 that what I didn't acknowledge couldn't hurt me, and my credit score is now 518 and I have no established credit history.

So I'm trying to rebuild all that got ruined. I've been reading here, but I'm running into three major problems.
1) I can't seem to get anyone to send me my credit report so I can look at things and figure out how to pay things off (been to annualcreditreport.com and am even having issues with them).
2) To get a credit card, the companies aren't complaining about my debt, they're complaining about my lack of credit history. So to build credit I have to... have credit. Catch 22 situation.
3) I could do a shared secure loan. Which is a fantastic idea.... if I had the money to put up for it to begin with. Which I of course don't. I don't know many people who are working part time, in school part time, and paying all their bills who do happen to have $1,000 just lying around with no need for it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm at my wit's end. I don't want other people's mistakes and my youthful ignorance to ruin the rest of my life!

Most Helpful Response

1) If you have problem with annualcreditreport, you can call Experian, TransUnion and Equifax (or CSC) directly to get your free annual report.

2) and 3) Try credit union. For non-secured card, I think you need to deposit as low as $300. If that is still not affordable to you at the moment, save up and try when you have enough.

Good luck!