Question

ffwife12

Have any users experienced a hard credit inquiry when purchasing phones from T-Mobile?
I'd like to know if any other users have experienced a hard credit inquiry when purchasing phones from T-Mobile. Last night my husband and I looked at phones and were told by one of their reps at the kiosk that they needed to run our credit to determine how much we would need to put down for the phones. I specifically asked the rep if it would be a hard inquiry and he said no, that it would be soft. I asked a second time just to verify and again he said it would only be a soft inquiry. We would not have gone through with things if I knew it was going to be a hard inquiry. So today I get a notice from Credit Karma and Protect My ID that I have a new hard inquiry on my report! So, long story short, I contacted several T-Mobile reps and even the kiosk I visited last night and was told several different stories and was also hung up on by an agent when I asked to speak to a supervisor (that definitely got my blood pumping). What I want to know is....how do I know for sure that this is a hard inquiry? I am angry and want to pursue this but how long should I wait for my credit report to reflect the most accurate data? Has anybody had experience with this? If it really is just a soft inquiry, would it still show up in Credit Karma and Protect My ID? They both label it as a hard inquiry.

Most Helpful Response

nothing you can do about it....but it is common practice for phone and cable/internet companies to run your credit even though it doesn't benefit you in anyway the only thing you get out of it is 3-5 point loss on your score with no chance of getting it back for paying on time SUCKS but thats how it is with utility companies and the only way utility bills can hurt you is if you don't pay them but they DON'T help your score at all they only hurt it if you miss 6 months of payments :)