Question

hpliska

Have a public record on my credit that I want off but the agency's rude and won't work with me help!
I had a credit card that I couldn't keep up with and is now with a collection agency. I found that they have put a tax lien on my credit for close to 4000 dollars. I have never had this happen before. I called and see about setting up payments and they refused to take anything less than 250$ a month which I can not afford. They are rude and not helpful at all. They never call me or send me anything about it which is nice to not be harassed about it but I really do want it removed so that I can try to get a house. Can anyone help me with how I should go about getting it off or if I even can? Also it says that it will be on my credit until 2016 but I was told that a tax lien can stay with you forever. Is this true?

Most Helpful Response

Sorry. It stays for up to 10 years.

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, all entries on your credit report will remain in place for up to 10 years,  good or bad.  The only ones that can be removed are those that are not yours and only if you dispute it.  

hpliska

Thankyou