Question

JosephJSlama

Have a lot of debt, but finally have a good job...
A few years ago I was out of work for over 8 months and built up a lot of debt, after I had a job it was minimal pay and I was going to college which accumulated even more debt... I am currently looking at about $50,000 in total debt and was wondering what the best way to go about taking care of this would be.

Would a debt consolidation be good for me, or should I just handle it myself? It will take many years either way, but I am not familiar with any other ways then me making payments 1 at a time... any advice would help a lot.

Thank you all so much!

Most Helpful Response

Paying your debt

I will never advocate debt consolidation.  There are a few decent companies out there, but so many are scams.  They charge you very high fees and pay little towards your debt.

Instead, take all your debts and list them in order of highest interest rate.  Pay them off in an order that makes sense to you.  Put as much income as you can towards making payments. 

It will be hard, because now that you're making money- you'll want to spend it!  Don't!  Clean up your credit, or you'll be paying a lot more for years to come.

P.S.

I make a decent wage now and am already planning on 3 significant raises within the next 6 months.

Nurse in debt

I tried this some years earlier and forgot.  But, I will line up bills and begin to pay highest ones off and get rid of my retail credit cards.   Thanks