Question

tfosterjr

Have a garnishment of a very old debt
I have a garnishment from an account that is over 15 years old. I live out of state where the garnishment occurred and never received notice of judgement 15 years ago or for the recent garnishment. The garnishers submitted records of garnishment to a hub of my current company that wasn't in the state I live in. My company accepted the garnishment because they felt that this was the correct thing to do. The issue is, I want to stop the garnishment and make a settlement, but my credit score is above 715 and I don't want to mess this up. What should I do about the garnishment? Also, This dept has been removed from my credit report since 2009.

Most Helpful Response

Judgments has much longer enforcement period than running period on your credit report, and it can be renewed. Besides your liability to a debt isn't dependent on your credit report to begin with. Tho it might no longer on your credit reports but it still would shows up in your Public Record... You can try to make settlement with the debt owner but there aren't much reason for them to do it now as they got money come in... You can always contact a Attorney to see there are any loopholes or technicalities in the lawsuit/judgments might get it overturned/vacated, like was their notifications of lawsuit was properly done, was the writ of execution timely ...etc 

"accepted the garnishment because they thought it would be the correct thing to do" What does this mean? They are required by law to do this, unless it isn't court ordered and if that is the case you are getting screwed the whole way around. If the garnishment is legit, the way to stop it is to pay the amount off in full. Will they accept a settlement? You would have to contact them, just make sure you have everything in writing. How would you mess your credit up by settling this? You have to pay it either way and you said it is not on your reports.