Has anyone recently "beaten" Midland credit?
They bought an old debt I had, I know they buy debt for pennies on the dollar and aren't even willing to settle for half the balance. I've already disputed it on CK through transition but there is over a week left. They have previously sent me legal paperwork so I was hoping for some advice.

Most Helpful Response

I beat them in court

Midland is an unscrupulous company that buys old debt and then sues people in order to attempt to place a lien on their bank account or have their wages garnished. My experience with this company was regarding a Providian credit card that was put into collections many years ago while I was in college. Due to financial hardship at the time I was unable to get a freeze on my account to stop the late payment fees so those fees added up over the years until it was charged off. The charge off was sold from one collection company to another extending the statute of limitations to collect until it landed in the hands of midland funding. Once I receive the notice, I tried to work out a settlement but my offer was rejected and that's when things went to the left. 

Midland Funding sued me and used a process server that lied about serving me a court summons. I was unaware that I was being sued until I receive I call from my company's HR department about a request for wage garnishment. Once I was able to find a copy of the court summons online, I saw that this process server lied about the date, time, name of person who supposedly accepted the summons along with the description of that person. I then looked up other cases of fraudulent practices used by Midland Funding and printed a slew of them to present to the court as I countersued Midland. I also presented proof that the process server had his license suspended due to making false statements regarding serving court summonses. 

I went to court 3 times to fight this judgement and met with the judge during the 2nd court date where he advised Midland's lawyer to have the process server appear in court which they were unable to do because the process server was sued by the Dept of Consumer affairs and had his license revoked.  

In the end the judgement was vacated and Midland sent me a settlement check. 

My advice to you is to look for the court documents Midland Funding used to secure a judgment against you if there is one and to make them provide proof that you owe the debt and that they have the original creditor's paperwork with your signature. I can almost guarantee they don't have it but will bully you into paying. If that happens then take them to court. You have a right to countersue without using an attorney.