Question

Wjm2020

Hard vs. Soft inquiry
I have a question about hard vs. soft inquiries. I was just notified of a hard inquiry but I believe it is for a prospective renter checking my credit history. The description is indicative of that and I can't think of anything else that would cause it.Shouldn't that be a soft inquiry?

That's my understanding, too.  I am no expert, but my understanding is that hard inquiries have to be approved by you, for the purposes of opening a new credit line.  Try disupting!

No, that would be a hard inquiry.  Soft inquiries are usually from your current creditors and those trying to sell you something.  Anytime you apply for something (job, insurance, credit, place to live), they check your credit and it is a hard inquiry.  However, inquiries are only 10% of your score, so that's small potatoes.

Skyangel77

10% taken from you! Are you kidding me! How can anyone think that is fair, and NO this is not small potatoes... People are only trying to better themselves, by refinancing etc. and trying to get the finances where they can handle them.

hard inquires

dont think 10% is small potatos for credt app,  could knock 79 points from score. then how long tobget back 79 points

Skyangel77

I totally agree with you Chauncey.. I do not trust this site anymore.  I cannot figure out why in the  world would they even take any amount from your score. What is the reason for that? People are only trying to better their finances, so why would the government even allow this to go on.

It is not fair to take from a persons Credit score for any kind of inquiry....

hard inquires

mayby addison meant 1% that would be more realistic