Question

ajseya

Hard inquiry on a pre-approved capital one card
I started building my credit a year back. last week I received a pre-approved card offer from capital one and after applying for it, they posted a hard inquiry on my credit which lowered my credit score by -15 points.

I talked to capital one and they told me to contact the credit bureaus. I am not sure if I should raise a dispute for this or not.

Most Helpful Response

Depends

If you received a preapproved offer, they will always do a hard pull, always. What they do NOT do a hard pull on is if you use the prequalifying tool to see what cards you would possibly qualify for, but even then, after you apply they will do a hard pull. 

Disputing it will not hurt anything, the credit bureau will either remove it or not. If they remove it, great. If not, you will rebound. Hope you at least got an approval out of it.