Question

SmeCat

Great Credit Score - Can't Get Credit Card (Currently Authorized User)
I've been an authorized user on my mother's credit card (Amex Blue Cash Pref) for over 3 years. She has great credit, so my credit score is currently around 760 at TU and EQ. I wanted to get my own card now that I'm making more money, so I applied for a new card with Chase (since my AmEx isn't accepted a lot of the places I go) - denied for lack of credit history. Apparently being an authorized user is not proof of credit responsibility. Do I need to drop down to a secured card to build credit/have the last three years of being an authorized user been a waste? Or are there other credit card companies that would be more willing to view being an authorized user as proof of creditworthiness?

Most Helpful Response

I would check the capital one prequal site and see if you can get a card from them, I think that you would have a good chance.  I would also check on the american express site also to see if you can get your own card.