Question

SRO86

Graduate Student Help
I am taking a year off to work and have credit card usage of near 85% on my cards. I closed my Banana Republic Visa and have left a Macys credit card with no balance, an AMEX Costco Card with a high blance and a Best Buy with also a high balance. What would be my best option to increase my credit score during this year. Pay off all debt in large sums? I put my AMEX in a repayment program where I can not charge anything but I only accrue 1% interest on the balance. The Best Buy card has like a $25 monthly payment. I am only giving myself a 1 year timeline of improvement because I return to graduate school and have to take a graduate school loan and end up becoming a physician with at least 120K in debt.

Pay Off Best Buy

It sounds like you're well on your way to shoring up your finances.  Since your AMEX has a very favorable 1% interest, I would suggest you pay off your Best Buy card ASAP (probably interest > 15%)?  Ignore the $25/month unless it's interest-free because they want you to pay enough to ensure they get their money back, but also too much so they can keep charging you interest.