Question

KittyKat9969

Good credit score reduced to 0 after inactivity.
I had paid on a car loan for 3 years, no missed or late payments. Then someone hit me and totaled my car. I knew what I wanted to buy to replace it, but I had to wait a year for it to be available. When I went to buy it, my credit score was zero because of inactivity! Can I do anything to get this good account that was paid in full to reflect on my credit score?

Most Helpful Response

Hi Kitty,

In order to calculate a credit score, the credit bureau requires current accounts. The closed account for your auto loan is on your credit report, which potential lenders will see. However, without current information, the credit bureau cannot calculate an accurate, up-to-date score. You can read more about a "thin file" here: http://blog.creditkarma.com/credit-101/credit-scores/what-is-a-thin-file/

Hope that helps!