Question

broshell

going to file ch7 soon, should i try to open a secured credit card before filing? or do it after?
I am 30000 in the hole, and its now impacting my education. I had been wanting to open a secured card but now ive decided to file ch 7. Is it a bad idea to open the secured card right before filing bankruptcy?

not before

I would not open a new account right before filing. It could cause issues in your case or they could close the account even if you dont want it closed when you file. In chapter you dont really get to 100% pick and choose on what you keep. I would wait tell after you get your discharge. I am in the same boat just had my meeting of the creditors last month. Just waiting for that letter.