Question

ab1775

Getting the highest limit on a balance transfer card
I'm looking to transfer about $4,500 by balance transfer so that I can pay without accruing interest. I'm currently using about 34% of my overall credit limit, and I am holding onto a card with $1,800 limit with $0 on it.

Which option has the best likelihood of getting a balance transfer card with the highest limit (to accommodate as much of the $4,500 as possible):
1) Apply for card now since the percentage of credit used is lower with all cards open
2) Close the card that has $1,800 open on it so that the $1,800 isn't considered as part of my open credit.

I've done a good amount of research on credit karma and other sites and haven't been able to figure this one out - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Option A would be best.  If you close the card then your utilization would go up and your score would go down.  Not helpful when your looking for another card.