Question

MrsDiva68

Getting items deleted
Hello, I have three derogatory items on my credit report. I want to pay these items off, but I also want to be assured the items will be deleted and/or marked correctly on my credit report. I spoke with the collection agency that handles two of the debts and informed them I would pay both debts in full if they would provide me a letter up front stating that the items would be deleted once I paid the debt in full. I was told they are not able to provide me a letter up front, but once they are paid they will delete them from my report and I would recieve a letter that says they've been deleted. To my knowledge I've never recieved a letter from a collection agency informing me that items have been deleted from my credit report. Is it true that they are not able to provide me with a letter indicating it would be deleted once I've paid the debts in full?

Most will not put "pay for delete agreements" in writing. Will they actually delete it? I do not know, but the only option you really have is to go ahead and pay it and hope that they delete it, at minimum even if the collection remained it would be marked as "closed" and that would help matters. If you call them to pay, make sure you tell them that you want it deleted in exchange for your payment. Then give it a little time and if the account remains on your reports, dispute it and hopefully they will remove it.