Question

ldpollock

getting asecured credit card
I have a score of 583 and tried getting a secured credit card to hepl. I was instantly denied! I thought thesewere for people with bad credit? Where can I look to get asecured card or what else can I do to inprove my score? I have no other credit cards in my name

Unsecured credit cards

What are the difference between secured credit and unsecured credit? Secured credit DO NOT require down payments nor collateral. Unsecured credit does. I think applying  for an unsecured credit card would be a better choice for you. If you keep applying for secured credit cards and get denied you will be hurting your credit score. You will get a hard inquiry every time you get denied. Thing is unsecured credit cards require a down payment. The down payment can range from $300-$500 dollars. If you're not a member with a local credit union I would strongly suggest you join one. In my experience, CU are the best at helping to rebuild credit. If you decide to go with a bank, I would strongly suggest Bank of America because you can graduate from an unsecured credit card to a secured credit card in a year or so. Pending you make your payments on time and keep all your other debt current with no late payments. Also, if you get a unsecured credit card for example for $300 (as your max limit) you should only allow $100 of usage. Meaning your new max is $100.  You do not want high limits on your credit cards to be reported to the credit bureaus. This will hurt your credit to debt ratio/utilization score. People have different opinions about paying balances completely off every month. Some believe that if you leave a small balance on your credit cards the banks will make money by charging  you interest and eventually raise your credit limits. I disagree with that! I pay all my credit card balances off each month and get credit limit increases everything I ask. My fico scores are in the high 700's and I have 14 credit cards. I hope this helps!

Being sneaky

If you have a family member that has good credit and you're in their good graces.... see if they will add you onto one of their credit cards that has a good credit line and low balance. That should help your credit history. 

Also, instead of using a big credit card company, go down to a local credit union and see what they will do for you. You might be surprised. 

brandnew554

add you on as an authorized user.... sorry should have been more specific.