Question

Borninnyc

Getting apartment
Hi everyone...I'm currently looking at places in North Carolina as I'm looking in the Charlotte area. I'm planning on moving with my best friend and her boyfriend. Right now at 22 y/o my credit is very good. My friends isn't good since she has an unpaid collection on her report which ruined her credit for a phone bill her family opened in her name when she was 18. Her boyfriend just got his first credit card about 2 weeks ago so he's new. My only concern is not being able to get the apartment in my name because I just closed a newly opened credit card that I ended up not wanting because I'm not wanting to end up in a lot of credit card debt. I have 3 credit cards opened and in good standing with $10,000 in limits between the three, 2 car leases which one i consigned which is always paid and the car lease is up next month and my new car lease which I am paying plus student loans which are paid. I have not one late payment at all. I also have another credit card I closed because the rewards weren't as great as I thought but that was 2 years ago. My score is a 728 as of now. do you think I will have a problem next year trying to get an apartment in my name or am I better off putting my friend and her bf on the lease? Thank you!

Most Helpful Response

I don't think you would have much problem. Your credit sounds decent. Here is something you really need to think about though. Can you afford the apartment on your own? If not, you need to add the others to the lease (which the landlord may require you to do anyway). If you cannot afford the place on your own and something happens that the other two move out or don't pay, you are on the hook and you may be sued and your credit may be damaged for seven years. No matter how much you trust someone never trust anyone with your credit future. And please, no more cosigning on anything, that can lead to a future of regret and often does for many people that cosign.

Borninnyc

I know not to cosign:) I co signed on first car because my credit wasn't established enough so my mom was the primary and I co signed to build mine. New car I am the primary but because of my age my dad co signed.thank you for your response :)