Question

JBirley15

Getting accurate late payments removed
While young, in college, etc. late credit card payments happened. They were my fault, that is undisputed. None of them were ever a month late, just a couple weeks. I don't have a ton of them, but I have enough that they hurt. I am now in my career, make good money, and have been making large payments to pay off my debt, additionally, I have auto-debit setup to prevent accidents. All accounts are several years old. I see mixed advice on here, so I want it tailored to me. I'm wondering if there is any chance, while admitting guilt, to get late payments from the past removed as a current good customer? If so, any recommended advice on how to present my argument to my servicer? Thanks in advance!

Most Helpful Response

Try writing a "Good Will letter"

Good for you for getting right with your credit. Although it's a little late to be tackling those late payments, your best shot may be first to call the vendors' 1-800 numbers, explain the situation, and see if they can remove those old late payments. If you are still a customer of the company and have proven your reliability, they may do it. Or at least remove one or two of them.

If that doesn't work, then try the same thing but in writing. If you google "good will letter" you find some examples of things to say. And good luck to you!

JBirley15

Thank you, all of my accounts are still currently active and all over 6 years old, so I have that working for me. I was not aware of a thing called a "Goodwill Letter" so thank you for that, I looked into it and it appears many have done it successfully. I will try to do so as well.