Question

ATLGAL1212

Getting a Late Payment Removed: Is It Worth the Trouble?
I have a 30 late payment from July/August of 2011. It's the only late payment I have on any of my credit cards/ loans ever. This is the only heavy blemish on my score. It's been a little over half of the 7 year limit for it to fall off my score. Is it worth the hassle to try and get it removed? If so, where's the best place to start? Calling the creditor or writing them? Or should I just wait it out the next few years for it to fall off?

Most Helpful Response

I also had one 30-day late payment - when I was successful in having it removed my FICO score went from 715 to 759 - it took about 5 months and 6 attempts but it was worth it for me.  There wasn't alot of effort - I did it by just calling customer service  - the only thing is it didnlt work the first 5 times - the 6th time I got someone understanding on the line and she removed it. Each call took 5 minutes - the effort was in the research - reading forums like this and seeing what worked and what didn't. I'm sure a 45 point jump in my credit score will positively affect the rate on my mortgage loan so for me it was woth it.