Question

CCandy236

Getting a divorce, should I wait to open a new credit card?
My divorce finalizes in mid January. My husband and I own a house together which accounts for ~87% of my total dept. The remaining debt is completely student loans. I don't have any credit cards under my name or any other sources of dept. After the divorce, I will no longer have a mortgage as my husband is buying me out. My credit score is at 637 right now. Should I apply for a new credit card now, after the divorce, or not at all? Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm new to managing my own finances! Thank you.

as your score seems a bit low you might want to look into a secured credit card.   Also look into the store credit Cards as with the Holiday season you might be able to get one or 2, ( but DON"T Charge them Up )  just get a small item and pay the card off.

As for the ex buying you out if your  Name was on the mortgage you need to make sure that he does re-finance the house into a new mortgage.  This is a Must,  other wise if he is late on a payment it's on your credit history also and you don't want that.