Question

infidel

Getting a Credit Card After Paying Off Debt
I just finished paying off my debt. I have not had a credit card for about 5 years and it has caused problems with travel, business, etc. I'd like to get one now. I want to get it in a way that does the least damage to my credit. I'm not sure what to look for in terms of finding a card I will likely get if I apply. I don't want to try to get several cards and be turned down a lot. I don't want to pay more fees than I need to. Interest is not a huge concern because I have no intention of ever carrying a balance.

Can anyone tell me or point me to info on how/what to do after you pay off your debt? I'd like to buy a house with my fiancee (who has great credit) in the next few years.

Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

If you have an account with a bank or credit union, as them for a "credit builder loan".  You can also try getting a secured credit card, can't promised you'll be approved or not, but visit www.creditcards.org to compare all that are available.  Get one that reports to all three bureaus.    Also, visit www.credit.about.com and learn how to build up good credit.  Best of luck!