Question

SMCortes

GECRB changed to SYNCB and dropped my score 12 points!?
This changed occurred for 2 accounts that I haven't used in years. I was advised not to close accounts because it reflects negatively on your score. Should I close them now? Will the 12 points ever be returned?

Most Helpful Response

Oh really, the name change shouldn't have an effect? well mine dropped -105 points, i think everyone needs to write these people to see whats going on, i don't even own a visa so it's something that their doing, you don't think its a coqencedence that everyone reported that their credit score dropped when the bank changed their names, i do.

Same thing happened to me, only my problem wasn't with the bank, it was with Sallie Mae Loans. The slightly changed their name and I dropped by 15 points. It's the only reason because nothing else on my report has changed. Not a single thing, just the name change. I don't even owe them anything, I'm still in school and I don't have to payback while I'm actively taking classes, so this name change should not have been a problem at all, but apparently there are some issues that need to be dealt with.

I don't think Credit Karma is giving completely honest or official scores anyway. My score at CreditSesame is MUCH higher than the one here. It's actually closer to my Fico score than CK. CK is acutally about 80 points off, CS is only 10 off. So, because of this bogus change in my score on CK, I think I'm going to shut down the account. It's not really good for looking at scores.

The only reason I can find to keep CK is for the changes in accounts, but I have LifeLock for that... So... unless they change their dynamic, I'm done.

Thank you for your response. 

That change had no effect on your score.  Something else must have caused the 12 point drop.