Question

stephinpdx

Frustrated with the credit karma vs other scores problem
I'm so over this! We are trying to get a cash-out refi, and have been working on raising our scores for 2 years. On Credit Karma, my score is 635 and my partner's score is 645. When the loan officers pull it, mine is 577 and my partner's is 579. Why the huge discrepancy, and what is the point of Credit Karma??

They are different scoring systems, kind of like Fahrenheit and Celsius are different temperature scales. Credit Karma's information is accurate, but it's not the scoring model used by most creditors and it's not what we're used to seeing. Just mentally subtract about 50 points or so from your CK score and that's probably about what your FICO is. 
It's still an excellent tool for keeping an eye on your credit reports and seeing trends (whether your score is going up or down). 

Experian offers a true FICO score for 14.95 a month and it updates daily. I like to use both, because with Credit Karma it's easier for me to figure out WHY my score changed.

Most Helpful Response

Simple.

The stated purpose of Credit Karma is to TEACH people how credit works and to tell them what must be done to improve their credit scores through the information provided and interactive tools.  It also states here that the credit scores shown here are calculated by the Vantage 3 method and the article emphasize that there are numerous ways to calculate credit scores.  In addition, there are three credit bureaus, but Credit Karma has access to the information from only two, but that's okay for the site purpose.  The information on Experian does affect your credit score so you would be wise to check all three credit scores annually to make sure all information is correct.  I've been here since 2012 and my score has gone up because I paid attention to the information here and made the necessary changes so that could happen.  You can, too.

Most lenders look at your FICO score. Credit Karma uses Vantage. It's a different scale for measuring that most people aren't used to seeing, but it's still accurate, and it's still helpful. Score isn't everything--the content of a credit report is just as important, and what you are seeing IS the same as what creditors see. You can track whether your score is going up or down and why, and if there is identity theft going on you will know about it fairly quickly if you check in often. There is a wealth of information in CK articles about how to achieve an excellent credit score. The main downside is that the scoring system isn't used by most creditors. Now that you know this, you can mentally compensate and guess roughly what your FICO is.