Question

StreamDweeler

FRUSTRATED - Advice Needed
I have one collection and it is being reported on my Equifax report and it was reported to Equifax by a collection agency. On the credit report, the debt lists the collection agency's name but no contact phone number for them, original creditor name or account number for the outstanding debt. I was able to find out that the the original debt reported was from Comcast Cable. I had no recollection of any outstanding Comcast Cable debt so I called Comcast for more information. They searched their systems for any outstanding debt under my name and my social security number and they could not find anything at all. They could not provide me any documentation to dispute the debt because they had no record of me ever being a customer.

I have disputed the collection with Equifax twice now; once last year and once this year. Both disputes came back with the information verified by the collection agency stating that the debt was being reported correctly.

The debt age is almost 7 years old and is scheduled to be removed in October of this year. Since I have no idea how to get this off, should I let the clock run out and it drop off or is there a way I can get it removed through possibly an "Early Exclusion"? All advice is appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

You can send a certified letter directly to the collection agency asking them to verify the debt and provide billing statements and other information that would have been furnished to them by Comcast. If they do not or cannot verify the debt, they must remove it fromt the report but you'll have to go through them first since Comcast has no record.

If the debt truly is not yours then you may want to contact a FDCPA attorney and start suing. Kimmel and Silverman is a good law firm if they practice in your state, if not, a google search should lead you to FDCPA law firms that do practice in your state. Many FDCPA law firms require no money upfront from you. They will get their money after the lawsuit is won or settled. As far as "early exclusion" Equifax will sometime remove things 2-3 months early, you may have to keep calling and asking.

I understand your frustrations.  Years ago I had an identity theft issue that resulted in cards being taken out in my name.  Despite proviing my case repeatedly and the offender going to jail, every 6 months or so, the debt would be resold by a collector to another collector and it would reappear on my credit report.  This went on the full 7 years until it aged off.

Despite the aggravation, you should ask yourself two questions:  Will you be needing credit in the next 3-4 months that this will materially affect (i.e. potential interest rate impact on a new car or house, or seeking out a high-credit score threshold credit card/line)?  Also, is it worth the effort you will need to expend in order to have it "temporarily" removed?

If the answer is no to both, then I'd simply let it age off.  Its already cycled through 80 of the 84 months, unless it is going to hurt you (beyond the insulting sense of having a debt that isn't yours) I would let it age out.

The problem is I am not sure if the debt is truly mine or not. I did have Comcast about 7 years ago but I would never have left an outstanding balance. I have a feeling that the debt could be that they charged me for their equipment that we returned when we moved to another city. After we moved, we were instructed by Comcast to take their equipment to UPS and that UPS would see to it that the equipment was returned to Comcast. Apparently this happens a lot with people that move out of the city or state. Since this was so long ago, I cannot locate any paperwork that would have been received from UPS for the returned boxes.

I guess I have no other choice but to contact the collection agency and see what they can provide me showing proof of their debt claim. Thanks for your help.