Question

mznizz

Former Landlord made a derogatory report
I rented a home from 08-10. I was never late with rent and I even investing my own money to make the house look nicer; painted (got their permission), custom blinds installed (there were no window coverings when I moved in) and I kept the yard in tip top shape. The house developed a leak and they never fixed it properly (they sent family in to fix 2-3 times but not successfully)which led to wall bulging and sheet rock falling from ceiling and wall. They eventually stopped returning my calls to advise them the leak was still a problem.

I took careful note to keep all receipts, before and after pictures and even documented dat/times and specifics of calls to and fro.

I had pets and they never asked for a pet deposit and I even offered one when I move out and they declined.

6 months after I moved out I got a cerified letter at my job of all places that they were suing me for property destruction.

So to sum up the events, we went to court and I actually won the case. They former landlords actually owe me; still to this date, for court fees. I have the court papers showing the judges decision in my favor.

There is a public derogatory mark on my credit report now. I know for a fact these people would not willingly request this be removed as it would benefit me.

How can I personally get this off of my credit report?

Anyone ever had something like this happen to them and if so, how did you resolve the problem?

Most Helpful Response

What an awful situation. I suggest you contact the credit bureaus (http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/CreditBureauContactInfohtm.shtml) with documentation of your court judgment and ask to have the derogatory removed.

I'm not a lawyer or an expert financial advisor (just a fellow CK member), but I believe that if the landlord doesn't respond within 30 days to prove his/her case, the bureaus are likely to remove the derogatory. You may have to keep after them to get them to do it. But it's a good thing you kept all that documentation!