Question

Posted in Saving Money

kimberlyyy808

First Timer Renter
Hello,

I'm 23 years ago, my credit karma score is at 749.

I'm about to move out and get my first apartment, but I'm terrified of how I will handle the financial situation. Are there any tools to help me budget rent + bills, on my own?

Further more, any tips to help out a young girl moving on her own? :)

Thank you!

Hey Kim... Look up Dave Ramsey. He has a ton of info for smart living.

Hello, 

Im 23 as well and moved out at 22. Ive been though this.

Let me tell you, you gotta make a spreadsheet with your monthly income (after taxes), then deduct your monthly debt will be. (rent and bills) See what you have left after that. WIll you be able to budget yourself with food and nessesites? Also try not to eat out to much or you will be spending way more then nessasary. WIll you have enough left over for any wants you may have, have any to stick into a rainy day fund?

Moved out at 19

Is it a contract/lease rent or room rental with no time obligation? I've been through both types of renting: lease and no lease. Any roommates? Any cosigner needed? Rent control in your area? The lifestyle commitment is still the same - BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET - or else your finances and credit history will BUDGE. Budget the traditional way: paper and pen. If those are too traditional, then use Excel?

Priorities will change as you move out. Monthly Rent. Monthly Utility Bills. Food. Toiletries. Personal items. ETC...Those are now in your control. 

I still rent now. I take care of the aforementioned priorities. The rest is for food, transportation, retirement, emergency fund, cash savings, then FUN and WANTS. I cook a lot and look for deals and sales. I go out occasionally. Use coupons here and there. I only buy what I need to sustain my lifestyle. Don't need to impress anyone or keep up with the Joneses. I try to avoid debts at all costs. I keep my car maintained with gas tank at least 1/2 tank filled most of times.

Need a roof to shelter from the elements. Need a car for work. Need food to survive. 3 basic essentials.