Question

BringItCreditMonsters

First steps for repairing bad credit
I have missed a few payments on things (one credit card, the others student loans). My credit card was closed, but still carries a balance. From what I've it seems like I need to take care of the missed payments first. Is this really the case? Should I pay the payments that I've missed as soon as possible, then focus on paying off the card balance in full second (while keeping up to date with my loan payments), then open a secure card to establish good payment history?

Most Helpful Response

Secured credit cards

Secured credit cards are a expeditious way to work towards building your credit as soon as it is entered in the system it is monitored, most if not all banks have them . I would caution you not to deal with Bank of America on anything they are famous for charging your accounts fees that are illegitimate and if you dont catch them that is free money for them.

Help please

How can I find out what bills I still owe that are in collection or could possible be in collection 

tbailey3908

The easiest way to do this is to get your free credit report from all 3 of the major credit bureaus (equifax, experian, and transunion). You can get this from annualcreditreport.com.

Once you have your reports, thouroghly review them. The report will tell you what debts you have, who you have them with, and what their current status is (e.g. current, past due, in collections, etc.)

If you are not sure how to read your credit report, there is a ton of information online that will help. For instance: http://credit.about.com/od/creditreportscoring/ss/creditreports.htm