Question

Marybethi

First Credit card or car loan?
I declared bankruptcy in Feb'2013, have no credit cards (5 closed accounts). and a 1998Saturn junker of a car. I have $1200 as a down payment. I'm wondering should I put the $1200 into fixing car and open a credit card to establish new creditor go for a car loan and open a secured credit card?

I would first open a credit card to establish new credit, even a secured card does this. With your score at 691 you have done very well at rebuilding post BK. I went through the same thing a few years ago and the first step was rebuilding with the secured cards and have since purchased two vehicles at regular interest rates.  I would think you would see a good impact on your score after doing this.

After a bankruptcy, the only credit card you will be able to get would be a secured one and the interest rate you would pay on a car may be high.  If you have read the articles here, you would know the best ways to rebuild your credit. 

Marybethi

jwsister.  Thank you for the reply and sound advice however I have read the articles, and have been getting back on my feet financially.  I'm just trying to get a few opinions on sinking the$1200 into a clunker or could I get something reliable with the $1200 down and a car loan.  My credit score is 691